Brats Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

YOU PURL 2 YOU HARPIE!!!


Yes, Jenny and I do love to craft. I like things that I melt and then throw some crud in and then pour it into something else. I'm good at melting things - I can microwave with the best of them. I CANNOT however learn to do things from Ikea-like instructions with little cartoon images showing you how to do things. I can't learn that way. I can't learn from a book... So WHY(?!?!?!) did I decide that I could? I picked up a little kit for making a scarf (which was some knitting needles, two things of red yarn and a cardboard sheet that has pictures of someone with a higher magnitude of dexterity making a magnificent scarf for someone. Oh it looks lovely on the cardboard!!! (The jerks) but what I have in my hands isn't anything like it... I can't even "cast-on" -- Which to me sounds like a nautical term... Cast-on mateys, I like the cut of yer jib!!! I have some mangled knots that somehow keep including my hands which I don't think anyone expects to have in their scarf. Now I'm sitting here, frustrated, looking like Pigpen with yarn replacing the dust and ready to give the cats a brand new yarn ball. Why did I think I could make a scarf?!?!?!

11 Comments:

  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger Caryn said…

    Ahoy me mateys... wow I am just laughing so hard at you right now. Unfortunately I can do nothing to ease your pain, despite winning the sewing award at my primary school graduation award ceremony. I think my mom bribed the teacher.

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Bratsky said…

    It's quite all right to laugh. I laughed my butt off at the gift wrapping so I had it coming. :) Please, share your wisdom with me!!! I'm still stuck in a ball of yarn!

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Norma Shineynickels said…

    Oh honey, I told you knitting was hard. We will talk to Giancarla if you want, she's a master knitter and taught me, although I've since forgotten. Knitting is REALLY boring.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Semi-Crunchy Momma said…

    I actually like knitting and am happy to teach anyone who's interested in at least trying. I've been knitting for about a year...mainly scarves and a SUPER easy purse, but I'm trying to be adventurous and try a sweater...not too successful yet, but if it doesn't turn out right, I'll just rip it out and make another scarf :-) But seriously, let me know if you want me to show you.

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Bratsky said…

    Thanks gals!!! I am attempting a scarf and am about a quarter of the way through, thanks to a very kind lady who wandered by my house. ;) (Ok, I begged an pleaded with her to come over and help me!!!) Well hey there Elsa!!! Haven't seen you in quite awhile! I didn't know you could knit! You should put some pictures up. :)

     
  • At 4:18 AM, Blogger sweetviolet said…

    i had a roommate who used to talk about the algorithms associated with knitting. ever since then, conor has been really interested in the craft. and i have been convinced there's too much counting involved.

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Caryn said…

    Oh Sarah - you just killed my re-awakening interest!! No wonder I got really bored with knitting when I was younger. Math was never my strong point.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Norma Shineynickels said…

    Yay Brat! Good job, I am very proud of you!

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Semi-Crunchy Momma said…

    Hey Girls...I haven't actually taken pictures of my projects yet...I actually still have pictures in my dig. camera that I have to get on the PC...but seriously...if you want me to show you basic knitting (basically cast on, 2 different stitches and cast off) you can make scarves, cute bags, etc. It's amazing how many things you can make just knowing those 4 things. Now for a sweater, I actually have to think :-) I can always set up a "girls night" (one of your significant others will have to get Steve out of the house) and we can have some wine & cheese, hang out and knit. You'd have to put up with the world's most hyper dogs though...and they don't turn in circles like the cute pug :-( Let me know...Caryn & Jenny both have my numbers, I think...

    Elsa

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Caryn said…

    how's it going? get much further?

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Semi-Crunchy Momma said…

    Got a hat done this week and 1 mitten, although the mitten is a little short for my fingers...don't know how that happened as I followed the instructions. So now my choices with that are to completely unwind the yarn and re-make it bigger or make a new one...which means I might not have enough for a scarf. We'll see...I'll probably just make a new one from scratch. It's easier overall that way. Later!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home